Thursday, June 26, 2014

Very Concerned...

There's something not right about the most recent samples of the Masque MRSA strain that I've tested.

Last week, I plated a new batch of the bacteria and allowed it to incubate, as normal. Then, I proceeded to drop antibiotic on the plate, and let it sit for a few days. The results, as usual, were promising - the colonies where the antibiotic was placed died as usual, and growth of additional ones seemed to have stopped.

But the next day, when I checked the agar again, I saw something odd.

The colonies had started to grow back. And after testing the agar, I found the antibiotic still present on the plate.

This makes little sense, and it deeply worries me. I'm beginning to grow concerned that the Masque strain is adapting quickly. A bit too quickly...

I'm convinced it's a fluke, or an outlier, or something. This... simply isn't possible. It's not possible for a bacterium to become that resistant to a medicine and mutate that quickly. Even viruses don't mutate that fast.

I must be overthinking it. There's clearly an explanation for these odd happenings, I just need to find it. That, or I really, really need a rest from this project.

Allison's party is next weekend. I've chosen a simple purple and gold mask and I plan to wear a nice suit with it. No need to go all out, especially for an informal party. Besides, the festivities and the liquor will surely do me good. Lord knows I need to relax a bit, especially after the issues this project has faced...

No comments:

Post a Comment