Friday, June 13, 2014

Back to Work

Finally back from my hiatus.

Annie's funeral was beautiful and took place outside. There wasn't a cloud in the sky - just how she'd have wanted it. She was a wonderful, bubbly woman that always had a smile on her face and the sun in her heart, and I like to think when the sun shines it's her smiling on me from Heaven. I miss you, Annie - rest in peace, baby sis...

Work on my pet project has been halted due to a problem with the Masque project - the experimental quinolone is no longer working on the bacterial colonies. Not even at the highest doses.

This disturbs me. I've never seen a bacteria adapt so quickly to an antibiotic, or so easily suppress other bacterial colonies the way this one has. No wonder the Masque epidemic is spreading so quickly.

I'll be sharing my findings with my superiors; word is another lab has found another antibiotic that works well in treating infection with this bacterium. And the good news is, it's been approved by the FDA for use already. My only concern is, if this bacteria could defeat every antibiotic I threw at it so far, and so quickly... could it adapt easily to this one, too?

Clearly, more research is required. I'll be in touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment