Monday, March 17, 2014

Back on Track, and a New Development...

Back to work, finally! Hope all my readers stayed safe during the flooding these past few weeks - I know it's been a mess for me. Hopefully it hasn't been one for you, too - I know some districts are still dealing with floodwater damage.

Today, I checked on the previously treated samples from a week ago. It seems the experimental quinolone I treated them with has killed nearly all but the most resistant colonies. Success! I'll definitely be trying more trials with that antibiotic and others like it, just to be sure.

I also checked on my pet project with the penicillium and two different Staph strains, and discovered something... interesting. I know for a fact I swabbed some mold spores on there, but when I went to check, all I found were little brown colonies of the Masque strain of bacteria. I also had coughed on the plate, to be sure of other bacterial growth, and noticed there were some other unidentified colonies, but very few of them. This seems to indicate that the Masque strain is particularly persistent in crowding out other bacteria, and perhaps is even preventing them from growing entirely. I'll check the pet project again next week to see if anything new happens, but unless something big occurs I'll be devoting all my time to my research.

No comments:

Post a Comment